Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Task and subtask Length

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishkid

Technical User
May 4, 2007
ES
hello,

I have the following problem. I am trying to create a project plan that will show the following.

I have a Main Task that should last 4 months. So starts September 1st and finished December 31st. This task has 3 sub tasks which will take place during those 4 months, however the length my work in the subtasks is as follows:

Task1 lasts 20 days
Task2 lasts 10 days
Task3 lasts 10 days.

For the life of me I cannot get the main task to show 4 months and then the subtasks to show 20,10 and 10? Has anyone any idea how this can be displayed in MS Project?

Thanks

OK, when you say Main Task, I am assumming you mean the Summary Task that is above these three tasks.
So if we create a Summary Task, insert these three tasks beneath it, indent the three tasks and then link the three tasks together sequentially using the Predecessor field with a Finish to Start relationship on them, the total Duration for the Summary task would total 40 days. This puts the Finish date for the Summary task at October 24th. (the Finish date of the last task)

To get the Duration of the Summary task to expand 4 months could be achieved in a few different ways:
1. Extend the duration of one or multiple subtasks
2. Insert a lag between the tasks. This would involve changing the Predecessor to look something like this: 2FS+10 days
3. Insert a milestone below task 3. Tie it to task 3 using the predecessor field. Then establish a lag like 4FS+48 days.

Hope this helps!

I might suggest this link for more help on how to work with MS Project:

JBlack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back