Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Target sessions and adv_file staging

Status
Not open for further replies.

mronquillo

Technical User
Jun 6, 2005
US
Suppose I have a pool of 4 adv_file devices. Server parallelism is 64, target sessions on each disk device is 8. If I understand target sessions correctly, this is how the data gets backed up:

Volume1 gets savesets 1-8
Volume2 gets savesets 9-16
Volume3 gets savesets 17-24
Volume4 gets savesets 25-32
Volume1 gets savesets 33-40, etc

What would happen if savesets 1-8 fill up Volume1 and there's space remaining on Volumes 2-4? Would savesets 33-40 be backed up to Volume1 after data already residing on the volume is automatically staged (property of adv_file type)? Or will Networker see that Volume2 has free space and send 33-40 to that volume? Hope I didn't confuse you all too much. TIA!

Merill

Interesting question.

Actually, what you describe is a kind of 'dynamic' load balancing. In other words: A volume/device will only receive new save sets, if the situation allows that. If a media is full, then new save sets will be sent to another device (if pools fit).

However, for an AFTD, the situation is more difficult: Of course you can fill an AFTD. However, even then, it will never be set to the status full! That's why there are new notifications which inform you to release space on this device.

What happens in such case? - Honestly, i don't know. Did somebody ever test this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back