Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Target Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonL2

Technical User
Jan 22, 2013
US
I have target lines that are appearing on ATA's. These lines hunt from TELCO. The incoming hunt works perfectly, 1st line rings, answered by ATA, next call goes to next target line, etc ... 5 Lines/ATA's.
If I add these lines on a Digital set, the hunt goes away ... first line rings, answered ok - call the first number again, and instead of it ringing the 2nd line, the first line on the digital set rings. How can I make the line only accept one call at a time, and show busy if the target line is in use, so the call will hunt to the 2nd line.
I only have 1 appearance of each target line on the digital set .... just had a thought ... should I use Answer DN's instead of target lines on the digital sets? NOTE: the whole point of having a digital set is strictly for Caller ID purposes, since the ATA's do not support C.I.

Thanks

Is this a PRI or T1 you have?

When you have a DID/DDI (Target Line) you can add as many appearances as needed so that the set or sets can answer multiple calls, put a call on hold and answer the next call.
In other words a DID does not hunt to another DID, it hunts to itself.

You can assign one DID/DDI to a Hunt Group on the BCM and add Members/Sets to the Hunt Group.

We do not know your setup such as a Call Center or Sales group etc or why was it Analog phones to begin with?, Fax server? ...so not the easiest thing to answer.

Lets say you had a Sales Group....
Setup Hunt Group XXX and add all your members and assign the member as Appear and Ring or Ring Only....Ring Only will come in on the Intercom key.
HG can be setup as Broadcast, Sequential or Rotary, see the guide for descriptions of each.

You then have 1 of 2 options to choose from:
-If AA answers calls then point a Path in CCR to point to the HG DN (XXX)
-In Hunt Groups assign the Target Line that the outside world calls direct.

You can also look at Forward Busy (or even Forward No Answer) under the set/s where you can have it ring another set if busy.....good for fax servers.

Answer keys will ring another set simultaneously, no hunting there.

Might be enough info for you to dig deeper in your programming.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Hey Curleycord:
Thanks so much for the info .... this is my setup ... its a radio station and the 5 lines are used as a Telco hunt for call in promotions and such. All 5 lines are target lines (PRI) that appear and ring on an ATA ext. I guess because they are analog, when the 1st line is busy, it then folloowed the TELCO hunt to the 2nd, 3rd etc...
Because they wanted caller ID, I set up a Digital set with appearances of the 5 lines and thats when the TELCO hunt stopped. I get your explanation of why it stopped. I am going there tomorrow to play with this again ... I will go into the target line programming to make sure its set to only one appearance. But one more question on the BCM hunt...if I setup the hunt with the first line as a pilot, will all calls always start with the 1st line, or will it act like a UCD or ACD and and hunt to the various lines, even if the 1st line is now free (did I say that right?)
Thanks again for your help...

All 5 lines are target lines [highlight #F57900](PRI)[/highlight] that appear and ring on an ATA ext. I guess because they are [highlight #73D216]analog[/highlight]"
Very confused now..
They are one or the other....not both!!

A [highlight #F57900]PRI[/highlight] is a Digital signal, this can have 23 calls/lines on one pair of wire and require a DTI card on the system.
These lines are programmed under "Target Lines"
Target lines as mentioned do not need to hunt to each other, they reply on appearances in Target Line programming.

[highlight #73D216]Analog[/highlight] lines are traditional copper lines from the street, each line comes in on 1 pair of wires.
So 5 lines would come in on 5 pairs (10 wires).
These lines are programmed under "Lines"
The Hunting Sequence of more than one line is programmed by the Carrier and not the system.

Can you confirm which lines you have.....PRI or Analog?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

When I took over the account, I was confused too .... I can only assume that the 5 "lines" (I think my termonology was a bit wrong, I should just call them numbers) that I am talking about were ported from analog lines, the phone numbers themselves are still in hunt from the carrier. Each ported number has a target line,(of course) and that target line appears and rings on an ext/port that is crossconnected to an ATA. Just a normal ATA with an analog phone attached. So I have 5 ATA's, each one rings on the particular Telco phone number, and those phone numbers are in a Telco hunt. I have never seen this kind of a setup before, but it actually works. (hmmm .. I can see this setup as a poor mans fax server scenerio)
(They have other phone numbers, DID's that are setup the normal way for thier office phones, nothing out of the ordinary, typical DID's, with typical target line programming).And it is in fact a full PRI ...23B's 1 D.

The whole point of what the customer wants is caller ID on one phone by the DJ. So thats why I ran a 7316 there and made the 5 target lines appear but not ring. Which stopped the Telco hunt for the reasons you told me about, which makes perfect sense to me. I'm just trying to find a way around the 1st target line just queing up on the 7316. Would love to see that when that target line is busy, like it is when there was no 7316, just the ATA, the Telco hunt takes place and the 2nd ATA rings and could be answered by whoever is manning that phone, etc... and of course it would flash on the 7316, giving the DJ the ability to put the 1st call on hold, answer the 2nd target line and see the caller ID if he wanted to.
Hey ... I don't mean to be difficult, and I could always tell the customer they can't have the 7316, but I hate to give up ... there has got to be a way around this. I'm pretty good on the BCM, but obviously not great.
Thanks again for putting up with this head scratcher..

Hey Curleycord: So after reading my post, It now makes me think that instead of putting the target line to appear on the 7316, what if I just put the 5 answer DN's on the phone ... that way the target lines would still only be on the ATA's, but when that particular ATA/Ext would ring, it would also flash on the 7316. Would it flash on the 7316 with the ability to be answered and show the caller ID?
Ron

Ok you have a PRI then.

Will assume that the callers call only one DID # and that the other 4 are not advertised.

Setup Hunt Group XXX and add all your members and assign the member as Appear and Ring or Ring Only....Ring Only will come in on the Intercom key.

Broadcast - simultaneously rings at each non-busy telephone in the hunt group.
Sequential - rings the first telephone in the hunt group list (the first one you added) If that telephone is busy, the system continues down the hunt group priority list until a non-busy telephone accepts the call.
Rotary - the call starts at the member telephone that appears on the list after the telephone that answered the last call. If that telephone is busy, the system proceeds down the priority list until a non-busy telephone is reached.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

The four "hunting DID's" are redundant if they are not advertised.

Do as Curly suggest create a hunt group in broadcast mode Appear and Ring or ring only. Or put the the pilot DID on all the phones you want to ring with as many appearances as you need. You will get caller ID on all the phones that the target line rings on. Appear only will not give you caller ID.

Marv ccna

Ok ... I will try some hunt group programming and let ya know ...
Thanks so much for y'alls help!!!

Ron

You could try to have 5 intercoms on a single digital phone. Have the main number target line on that phone with 5 target line appearances. That would allow 5 calls to the number. You would have the telco disable the hunt group. I believe that would limit you to 5 simultaneous calls to the main DID, no need for the ATAs unless you have a requirement for analog phones and you would get caller ID to the digital phone.

Seems to me the hunt group of 5 DIDs was carried over before they had a PRI.

I think the OP wants the calls to go to one set then when/if busy the next call will go to the next set and so on up to 5 sets.
They do not need/want a single member to handle all 5 calls like a receptionist.
They also have analog sets already, they want to go to digital sets.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back