Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Target Computer Name is incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomarian

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
I wonder if anyone else has seen this issue. We have two servers acting as Domain Controllers and they have Wins and DNS installed on both. Everything has been running smooth for the last year and a half.

One day the PDC (Windows 2000) has shares that cannot be accessed by using the computer name anymore. (ie. \\servera\share). We can access the shares by IP address and doing a pathping resolve the name to the IP.

Microsoft states through Q article 310340 and that this occurs when the same computer name exists in the parent domain and the child domain. We don't have any child domains, so I cannot see how this came about.

I have tried as a last resort doing an authoritative restore on the directory services from about 3 weeks back, but the problem came right back.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this. I should note that the system having the problem is running Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3. It is the Operations Manager for the domain and only houses shared files. Norman Moy
I hope I helped. :)

I had a similar problem the other day. Check your DHCP,DNS or WINS Server to see what IP has been assigned to the Server name. If anyone one of these are having the incorrect IP, remove the entry or change the IP to the correct one. For my case, it was becos I changed my nic of the server, and powered on the server while connected to the network. It got a dynamic IP from our DHCP, and our WINS server was updated with the dynamic IP before I assigned the intended static IP to the nic.

Thanks for the reply. I did check the DNS and WINS server on the server that was failing and they were correct, even though some other computers were registered with the same IP in WINS. I fixed that, but I did forget to check the other Domain controller. I will give it a try and let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help.

Norman Norman Moy
I hope I helped. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back