Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tar backup on hp-ux

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneesz

Technical User
Nov 12, 2000
MY
Dear expert,

I've been assigned to a project which to migrate the entire data from 2 HP9000 servers to 2 other HP9000 servers.
One of the servers database is IngresII on HP-UX while the other is Informix7.3 on HP-UX

The question is, is it possible if I just backup all the file system using the tar command (with absolute path) and restore back to the destination server?

How about the database? does it will work properly?
and how about the system backup?

Please help as i'm not really familiar with either HP-UX or the Ingres/Informix database.

Thank you in advance!

Well, if everything is shut down, it may work ... Though you'll have to sort the boot disks out.

A better way is to back up the system using Ignite, this will recover fine, if the target server is similar in hardware to the original. YOu could in theory use the first server and make a "golden image" (an ignite thing) which will recover to any hp hardware (I think), never created a golden image, but have built off them.

Best way though is to rebuild the new server from scratch, and then reinstall the databases and import the data. I would use a proper backup tool (Netabackup for exammple).

Martin

as maring999 recommend - use a proper backup tool... we been using this method for years.

So in actual answer to your questions ...

The question is, is it possible if I just backup all the file system using the tar command (with absolute path) and restore back to the destination server?

>>If you mean the o/s this will not work, unless the hardware is identicle, and then you will have issues. Reinstall the o/s from scratch, make sure it is build correctly to company standards.

How about the database? does it will work properly?
and how about the system backup?

Not sure quite what you mean here, but a tar backup of a daabase is probably not supportd, therefore if you have issue you are on your own.

So the correct way, is to build from scratch, get a DBA to reinstall the databases, and then import/ restore the data from a proper backup using a proper backup tool.

Sounds a bit like this has been dropped on you.

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back