Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tapes or Disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD5150

Programmer
Aug 25, 2004
US

Has anyone dumped their tape-drive backup for backing up to SATA disks instead? SATA disk drives are cheap and some NAS devices support them, so I'm wondering if this is the way to go when implementing a new backup solution.

Mike

yes... in fact several people is going to backup-to-disk...

take a look to storage manufacturers as EMC, HDS, etc.

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.

Great. I have one follow-up question if you will:

Would the backup device really be another NAS device?

I'm envisioning a device with swappable SATA drives and re-using them periodically after an off-site transfer. Can a NAS device be used this way?

Appreciate the help,

Mike

backup-to-disk (B2D) configurations *ussualy* are connected through a FC channel to an ATA-based disk array, but there is nothing wrong using a NAS devices, you can have a software issue (i.e. the backup software, as legato, veritas, etc.) ask the provider, but a NAS is still a storage.

What software will you use?

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.

Haven't decided on the software yet. I'm still reading up on which protocal would be best(NFS, CIFS, NDMP) and which software brand/version supports what. There seems to be so many options and configurations with pros/cons to each. It's scrambling my brain reading up on all of this. But you guys are a big help.

Mike

It is not recommended nor best practice to keep all your backups on disk for long periods of time. Backup to Disk is a short term solution to assist with the amount of time to backup multiple servers during a short backup window. It is not meant as a tape replacement for the long term by any means.

I want to agree with that point as I'm learning that there are issues with backing up to disk, such as, defragmentation and the disk needing a file system, but it's hard to ignore the reliability, fast backup, and fast restore speeds. A lot of articles talk about this. But for simplicity, I suppose that I'll go with tapes since I'm not much of an expert in this area.

Maybe replication is a better solution. I've always liked the concept of replication, so I'm thinking that maybe two replicated NAS devices and one DAS tape-drive would be a good setup. I read that the two NAS devices would stay synced-up in normal mode, and when it was time for a backup, the syncing would stop, NAS-1 would copy to a separate backup volume on NAS-2, then the sync would resume and the backup would be run from the backup volume on NAS-2 over to the tape.

Anyone running this kind of setup?

Mike

How much data? For low flow stuff you could hobble something together with ntbackup (to DAS), robocopy (to a NAS share), and scheduler (to coordinate things so they don't step all over each other).

For larger volumes of data, look at the offerings of the storage vendors. Netapp in particular touts the benefits of snapshots (local), snapmirrored or snapvaulted to a nearstore (you guessed it, ATA drives), to a remote nearstore or ndmpcopy to tape. Other vendors have similar offerings for which volumes could be writtem on the comparative advantages and disadvantages.

We use two Equal Logic PS200E for our backups and then migrate that data off to a tape library. Those are two iSCSI storage device that work very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back