Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tapes not do eject 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbl

MIS
Sep 6, 2001
CA
We are using Arcserve 2000 advanced edition, version 7 build 1100 on windows 2000 server, a Compaq Pro Liant ML 370. We do full backups nightly of this server using HP Surestore Ultrium 230 tape drive. The tape we use is Verbatim Ultrium LTO (100gb capacity).
We have defined a two week cycle with full backups every week night at 10pm.
Under Backup options for each tape Back up job, we have the following: (1) Back up Media Tab: Either the "Overwrite same media, or blank media" or "Overwrite same media, or blank media First, then any media" are checked off, (2) Operation tab: the following are checked off: (a) Disable File estimate, (2) Eject backup medfia at the end, (3) Backup arcserve database files.
We get two types of errors each job: (1) e3170: Failed to prepare for certificate services backup, and (2) error E8604 which indicates that the back up of two individual exchange mail boxes could not be started. These two users are maintained on our system but their accounts are disabled.

Do any of these settings need to be changed, or are there any patches, hotfixes or other updates needed? Any other suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Clarification on above email: the subject should be "Tapes do not eject". I need to know why the tapes never eject even though the job appears to complete normally except for the above errors which cause it to report "Incomplete" as the end job result/status.

So, if you go into devices and right click the tape drive and choose eject, does that work?

Your options look fine to me. I have 2 tape drives, DLT 40/80's, that will eject faithfully unless their backup job fails. If the job actually fails, they will not eject automatically. I pursued this with the board a while back to no avail.

Good luck.
Debi

DebiJo,
Thanks for y our comments. I did check the manual eject and it works fine. I am wondering if the automatic eject requires the job to finish error free with a status of Complete before ejection can occur. I don't thinkso because the tapes used to eject ok even when the job was Incomplete.
Any other ideas from anyone?

Does the backup have a failed state? I think after a certain warning or error count the job is classed as fails and the tape doesn't auto-eject.

Is there any way to change this? My backups show failed just about every night but it is due to it not backing up certain mailboxes. These mailboxes have been disabled, so it is not a problem for them to not be backed up. If the cause of the tapes not ejecting is because of the failed state, I would really like to know how to change this.

Thanks,

Eric

Actually, I solved my own issue. I created a batchfile called "eject.bat". Using the tapetest command, my batchfile looks like this:
-----------------------------------------
tapetest -eject < commands.txt

where commands.txt looks like this

I use &quot;1&quot; because the eject command will ask for a device name. In my case, the device is &quot;1&quot;.

Adding this to the Pre/Post option and telling it not to run if the job is either successful or incomplete will produce exactly what I was looking for.

I hope this helps anyone with the same issue in the future.

Eric

Greetings,

I'd be interested in hearing how you solve the E3170 error as in my post:

thread861-692963 regards,

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back