Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tapes are recomended as backup tapes in the log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

canix1

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
SE
Hi there!
When I look in the backup log the tape is recommended as backup runable, although it was just backed-up on and it is in the Saveset. The tape is new, but there is also a recommendation for three old tapes that I don´t use any more.
Can anyone explain this for me?

You have used what it is called "Media Pool". What it does is to go through your database and find all the tapes that is in the cratch set. If you believe those old tapes are no longer exist then you can use new tapes. By the way, if you use other machines to erase/format old tapes the iformation will never be deleted from your database. And ArcServe will continue to prompt for those tapes. You should just ignor them.

Thanks!
Yes I use a "Media Pool". So is it normal that the tape that just ran still be in Scratch set when the query for runnable tapes runs.

Regards Robin

Check the retention period you have set in the media pool as well as the minimum number of media. The retention time is how long it takes for a tape that belongs to that pool, to be moved into the scratch set. The minimum number of media is the minimum amount of media available in the media pool save set at any given time. Note that the latter OVERWRITES the first rule of retention. i.e. if you have minimum media in save set, set to 3. And you back up to one tape with a retention of 1 day. Then the tape will NEVER be released into the scratch set as it must satisfy the minimum number of media rule. That rule has higher priority over the retention period.

Guru - brightstor@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back