Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape to tape copy utililities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelmaus

MIS
Feb 20, 2001
US
I have a StorageTek 9730 on an NT 4.0 platform and want to use Veritas Backup Exec software to backup 17 NT servers. We currently send the end of the month and end of the year tapes offsite. I do not want to run a separate backup for month and year end. Is there a utilitiy I can use in an NT environment to copy the contents of one tape to another tape? In other words, copy the data from the tape in slot 1 to the tape in slot 25?

I have the same problem, copying a tape created by NT Backup. Any answers ?

NovaStor TapeCopy is good if you have 80gb of free hard drive space kicking around. In order to copy an 80gb dlt tape you need 80gb of free space. There must be something else out there.

Not sure on the BE-NT side, but NetBackup has a command called bpduplicate that will do this.

This will only work in a non SAN setup unless the latest Veritas 4.5.1 is used as reserve & release are not catered for. (I believe that there is a patched 3.4.x but I am not certain.)

Have you thought about using hardware tape mirroring within your 9730 tape library to create an "On Site" and "Off Site" copy of your tapes simultaneously, in the same time it takes to do a single backup? Check out Ultera Systems web site for a real time disaster recovery plan combining Tape RAID and Automation.

One of the reasons why we are migrating from BackExec to NetBackup is to get tape-to-tape copy (or to be correct to copy backups to several tapes)

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back