Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

chekcol

MIS
Apr 9, 2003
US
Anyone have tape sctipts they would like to share, I am lookign for one that will tell me how many available tapes I have for backups.

Thnak you

I have just an old perl-script somewhere. I can look for it if you want. Should work on UNIX and Windows. Not sure I can find it though

Otherwise it is fairly easy to make one. What you want to do is query your media db for volumes that are "not full and not recyclable" or volumes that are recyclable. Add them together and you have the nr of tapes you can use. (Hope I didn't forget something now!)

You might want to consider how to handle volumes that are set to manual recycle if you have those.

There is also the pool to consider if you use more than one. You might have recycle to and from other pools enabled which will influence what the actual result should be.

If you come across it that would be great, I am not a good script writer, so it would help.

Thanks

Found it, but it would take way to much work before it could be posted anywhere. It was an old script I made for a customer and very specific to their environment. So to make it generic would take me a few hours I guess. It was nice though, I might just do it if I am bored some time.

In the meantime you might want to do something like the post just after yours:

If you add a query for appendable tapes (or rather not full and not recyclable is better) in a second run, you'll get your total count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back