Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Rotation / LTO Autoloader failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

arboundy

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2002
AU

Good morning all, thanks for you time.

A couple of questions here that maybe someone can point me in the right direction on;

1) Rotation of tapes

We perform a disk-to-disk backup, which is then backed up to tape using out Quantum LTO Super3 (10 tapes).

Ideally I want to perform full backups each nite (400Gb) and keep packing them onto the tapes, and when it gets to the last tape it starts back at tape one and goes through them all again. Thus we can have a rolling copy of say the last 10 backups, and the whole process become automated.

I have created the pool, set retention times, put minimum tape number in, and from Tape 1 to 10 it works fine. However two this happen that I cant seem to get around;

a) the tapes dont auto shift from Save to Scratch

b) even if I manually do so, often when it fills tape 10 the job stops and asks for tape 11

Is there a way I can get it to round back to tape one automatically?

2) Autoloader Err 67

We have been able to find that if we perform a restore possibly 80% of the time the tape remains in the drive. From the LTO log I can see the empty drive command is sent 13 times, then it errors;

DRVMGR_ADI: drv[0] SCSI msgid DRV_UNLOAD SnsKey 2 ASC 4 ASCQ 7
DRVMGR_ADI: drv[0] Too many retries
DRVMGR_ADI: drv[0] Resp Exit stat/srvcTyp StatusDoneSendBadReply ServiceTypeScsi sender_id=2
DRVMGR_UTL: drv[0] drvMgrSetCommErrMsg logType=1,subCode=51,rtnCode=67
LDR_RESP: sending resp to tsk 2 status 67
Servo err: 26721a3, ctx1 67, ctx2 0
DRVMGR_ADI: drv[0] Resp Exit msgId/Service/bsy/stat DRV_UNLOAD 0 0 StatusDoneSendBadReply
DRVMGR_ADI: drv[0] srvcTyp/drvState ServiceTypeScsi StateLogin msgid=79
DRVMGR_MAN: drv[0] Process message DRV_VHF from drive's queue
Servo err: 2672914, ctx1 67, ctx2 0
Servo err: 267291c, ctx1 67, ctx2 0
Servo err: 2672699, ctx1 67, ctx2 0

On the LTO screen it comes up Tape Error 67, the web console fails all commands, and any following Brightstor activity fails. This only occures on restores.

I have searched Quantum (who have not error 67 recorded), and well - cant find a thing anywhere else either!!

Thanks,

Aaron

If there are physical errors on the tape library console, and you cannot connect to it using the manufacturers tools when this happens, it is highly unlikely this is anything to do with ARCserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back