Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Rotation in Netbackup

Status
Not open for further replies.

AROOKIE

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
US
Hello smart people;

Let me tell you that I sincerely enjoy this forum and I have learned so much from your posts. Needless to say; I am very new to Netbackup and extremely confused. My fear is that i will recieve a request for restore and I cant do it!!
Here is my Question. I send out weekly tapes that stay offsite for 8 weeks and come back to me again. If my retention policy in Netbackup is set for 8 weeks

Question: how do I run a restore from a tape that has been out of library for 9 weeks. One of the Veritas Support engineers told me that I need to Import the image back in? true? if so how?

BTW, I'm not using Vault.

Thanks a Bunch

Yes, there will be no problem importing that tape back in - As long as you have not used it. What you do is to use the catalog portion of the GUI, do a phase one import that will search the specific tape for any valid image headers and then a phase two to import the required data back into your database. From there simply do a normal restore. The only thing to remember - Set the date fields to cover the date/time range in question or you may not see anything.

Thanks, I followed what you suggested and i recieve the following message

INF - Found no images matching the selection criteria that were ready for phase 2 import.

What do I do now?

Hi
You can use the below procedure
1. insert the tape to library which need to import
2. run inventory update
3. use command under /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/
bpimport -create_db_info -id <media id>
4. search phase 2 import, you can see all the backup history and highlight the image which you want to restore, click import
5. use the normal restore procedure to restore the backup image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back