Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape machine offline 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msharkey

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2001
US
I am in need of some assistance.

Our tape device is currently in offline mode. This occurred after a server reboot. I have started and restarted the BE services. The tape device has power to it and does not display an error message on the device.

The tape machine is an HP autoloader.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

I have the same problem with a Dell LTO external 200gd tape drive that drops off line from time to time, of its' own accord. Dell had me shutdown the server, turn off the drive, wait,,,,,, turn the tape drive back on first and let it finish cycling on, then turn on the server. It showed up online after that. Since then, 99% of the time when it does this, I can just reboot and accomplish the same thing. I blame my SCSI card for ir dropping out for no apparent reason, but that's a wild guess. Good Luck!!! Rlee@ncdoi.net

Are there any problems seeing the device throught the windows device manager?

From my experience if a device is offline it is also not visable fron the device manager. If windows cant see the device the is no way the Backup Exec will see it.

Also check the system & application event logs for any related errors.

Post back what you find.

I have had the same problem with a dell power vault. I have become used to just going to the devices tab of the backup exec gui and right clicking the device then properties then configuration tab then uncheck the box that says "enable device for backup exec" then click ok then do the same thing over again but put the check mark back and voila the device is back on line.

I had this problem with a Dell LTO until we updated to the August 2002 driver pack from Veritas. Now we no longer have a problem.

To all that posted, thanks.

I did the power down and up of the server and tape machine. The tape machine is seen by the server and the software.

This has resolved that problem.

Next problem to be posted soon.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back