Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape library question

Status
Not open for further replies.

experimental

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
US
I have a Powervault tape library we just got and it has a barcode scanner. My question is what do I do with the barcodes, what are they for and how do I use them in my backup plan? I am a un*x guy and have been backing up to dlt's...until now :S The O/S is Windows and the backup s/w is brightstor 11.1. Thanks.

Barcodes are used as labels for tapes while in an automated library. They are also used to track tapes when sent offsite.

Hi
Basically barcodes are used to lables the tape. If you are using backup software such as Legato, Veritas, Omniback...
it will maximum the speed when running the tape inventory where the robotic arm of the library just scan all the tapes. If your libary do not have barcodes capability, the robotic arm will take all tapes from all slots one by one into the drive and scan it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back