Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Library Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

halienator

Technical User
May 19, 2003
Hi,

I am using ARCserve 2000 and an OverlandLXB MiniLibrary. ARCserve gave me an Error stating the drive needs cleaning and disabled the drive. I installed a cleaning cartridge into the Overland but when I tell ARCserve to "Clean Tape Head", it tell me "This device does not have a cleaning slot installed". I performed a manual cleaning from the Overland device but ARCserve still does not see it as being clean.

How do I get ARCserve to recognize that the drive is cleaned and have it re-enable my drive?

Thank You,

Eric

Does your system have an auto loader? I haven't used AS 2000, but in 9 you can go to device configuration and specify a slot in the library that holds the cleaning tape and tell it to clean the drive after x hours of drive use.

Yes my system has an auto loader. I have gone into device configuration but I do not see an option for assigning a specific slot as a cleaning slot. I removed slot 15 from my main backup group and created another group called "CLEANING" which I assigned slot 15 to but I still have had no luck. Restarting the tape engine does re-enable the tape drive, but a simple inventory will disconnect it again. Unfortunately, we do not have an extra copy of v.9 available, or I would go that route.

Any other thoughts?

You have to tell ARCserve that one of the slots will be designated for cleaning in the device configuration menu when you select 'properties' ( in there you can configure barcode readers and - software initiated - cleaning.
Assign one of the slots for cleaning and it will be treated this way ( the slot will have a yellow colored icon and is seen as cleaning tape ).
Personally I prefer that the cleaning is hardware initiated ( arcserve will clean after xx hours of usage, most hardware cleaning uilities clean only when needed ). Check the manual of the overland library if there is a setting for 'autoclean' ( most libraries have a predefined slot for this ). If autoclean is enabled ARCserve will not 'see' this one anymore.

hope I'm clear

regards

I have looked at the Overland settings and autoclean is enabled; however, I have been unsuccessful in obtaining an operating manual for our device. I send numerous requests to Overland but they have not been willing to return any of them ... ... Unfortuately, this is something I am going to have to deal with as the company has no intention of upgrading this device any time in the near future. Do you think if I install the cleaning tape in the correct slot that this slot will disappear from ARCserve? Or are you saying that it doesn't show up at all regardless if a cleaning tape is installed?

Download it from Overlands Web-site ( I think either the last or the first slot from the magazine will be used ). When auto-cleaning is enabled on the library then the slot will disappear form ARCserve, whether there is a cleaning tape present or not.

regards

Thanks a lot.

I actually ran across an old manual over the weekend. Depending on whether or not you have one or two drives installed, you can use slot 15 or both 15 & 14. This is true with any model. The cleaning slots are the last slots on the magazine. You can then go into the reserved slots settings and either reserve 1 or 2 slots. It is that simple.

Thanks again for all of your help with this.

Remember ... A computer's attention span is only as long as it's power cord ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back