Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

penzk001

Technical User
Mar 11, 2003
MT
Good morning,

I've been tasked to automate the backup of 20 servers (some have SQL server and lotus notes).
The solution I have in mind is to have two servers performing backups of 10 servers each using Veritas 9 with the respective agents. (approximate size of each server is 25G)

The tape library I have in mind is HP MSL 6000 (Ultrium 460), if the tape library is installed with two drives can it be connected with two servers concurrently.

i.e. backup node 1 using first tape drive using SCSI connector 1
and backup node 2 using second tape drive using SCSI connector 2.

Is this scenario possible ? Can backups be started in parallel ?

Thanks

There are a lot of setups and many layouts you could use. The system we use, some what larger scale but it's all the same realy, is a libary with direct attached drives to several media servers. These can be grouped in verious ways using storagegroups. Using Netbackup we are able to share drives and also multiplex writing to single tapes. But the point for you is that it does not matter what the drives are attached to they can service several clients. This is the sort of lay out that would need some tuning to get the best from but should not be difficalt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back