Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Engine service terminated unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riko123

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
I am having an issue with the tape engine terminating with no specific errors of problems apperent. This has been happening for about 2 weeks and the only way I can get a backup to run is to reboot the tape library and the server as many times as it takes until it finally runs the back up.
I am running ARCserve 11.0 on a Win2000 server. with a TL891DLX Mini library. the error in the event viewer is "Tape Engine service terminated unexpectedly" But there are no other errors associated with it. I have tried disabling the Remote storage service and this did nothing.
any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you have to physically reboot/reset the tape library to get it to work that sounds like a hardware fault to me.

Check the Event Viewer System log for errors from the SCSI controller.

When the problem happens check the library for an error condition and run diagnostics on it.

If that comes clean then look to the terminator, cable, on back to the SCSI controller.

I continue to have the same issues but now on different servers in different regions. They are not even on the same type of server though they are running the same software.
I start the tape engine and the in device it seems to be updating but then the engine will kick off. I have had both
drives replaced as well as the SCSI controller. This did not seem to fix the issue. I also reloaded ARCserve and still seem to be having the same problem. Any suggestions?

This is the exception I am getting when the tape engine stops.

Tapesvr Exception Handler Ver 1.0
Exception Time : Tue May 17 00:31:39 2005
Exception Cause : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (attempting to read)
Exception Flags : Noncontinuable exception
Exception Address : 4b454557h
DLL/Exe that caused GP: E:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup\CHANGER.dll (From STACK Trace)

Any Ideas?

Check all the exception logs to see if the address is the same
Exception Address : 4b454557h

If it is then it points to a specific point in the code and it is likely that a code change will be needed to prevent the problem.

The notes report the version as 11.0. If that is correct then it is necessary to update to 11.1 + service pack + latest Tape Engine update.

I am running Brightstor 11.1. My tape engine recently stopped and will not restart. Can any one point me in the right direction. I have gone to device manager and all the tape devices are disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back