Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Ejecting before Backup Begins 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvrdwn

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
Something Curious is happening with one of my systems running BackUp Exec.

Every once in a while the system in question spits out the tape before the backup begins.

I have looked into several things:
1. Its not any one particular tape (randomly happens to tapes in a 4 week rotation)
2. When this happens - this tapes being ejected are not "Write-protected"
3. There is nothing physically wrong with the tape drive itself.

any hints on where to look or comments of this happening to anyone before are greatly appreciated as this little quagmire is driving me NUTZ!
Thanks gang

do these tapes that are being spat out all belong to the same media set ?

If so, check your overwrite (OPP) and append protection (APP)properties on the media set.

If you have infinite APP > data will be appended to the tape assuming the media has enough space. If you have set 1 week for the APP, that means you can only append data (regardless of if you have enought space) for 1 week from when the 1st Backup has finished.

OPP > infinite would mean that you have protected the tape for 999 years > if thats the case > drag the media from the media set into scratch media. This will wipe any OPP/APP

Also make sure the tape isnt physically overwrite protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back