Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Drive Unrecognized - ArcServe 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePP

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
GB
I am configuring a Windows 2000 Server with Arcserve 2000. It has a Quantum DLT 8000 Tape Drive.

Yesterday I formatted a single tape from ArcServe and gave it a name.

Today ArcServe does not seem to recognize that the tape drive exists.

The tape drive seems to operate correctly - ie it accepts the tape, makes whirring noises, and ejects the tape. It also accepts the cleaning tape, and appears to clean itself.

When Selecting Device Configuration, followed by Enable/Disable Devices (for RSM) Arcserve informs me that no devices are detected.

I have checked the SCSI connections within the Server, and all seems well.

Any advice would be most welcome

Regards

SADCOW

You have probably already did this, but this would be my course of action.
1. Reboot the server and verify what model of scsi card your tape drive is on. If none of the scsi card scans find a tape drive this is your problem. Maybe try changing IRQ's.
2. If one of the scsi cards finds the tape drive, verify 2000 has loaded the correct driver for the scsi card if it has not loaded a driver you should first rescan for new hardware and try the default driver first. If the default driver does not work, go to the website of the scsi card and download the latest and greatest.
3. A quick test to see if the drive is actually working would be to us 2000's backup utility to run a quick backup.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back