Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape drive purchase advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2005
US
If this is the wrong forum, I apologize for the mistake -

Our network here is a fairly simple one, we are currently running 2 DCs that double as file servers. I'm introducing 3 new servers to host some of the applications the DCs are hosting as well as files. i'm also implementing roaming profiles so users can store there files on the servers so they're properly backed up.

Well our current backup procedures aren't built well for this and I'm looking for a more centralized backup procedure for our main office/branch (i work at a bank). Being that I'm the only IT person here, a centralized solution is just more efficient.

We currently have about 150 GB of total space across the 5 servers I plan to back up, which will probably grow to about 350 GB following our tape drive purchases.

I need some advice on any good tape drives (I assume auto loader). I've never worked with autoloaders before, since I've never had to use more than one tape before (always worked at small offices). I've been looking at CDW and all the different features are a little confusing. I see some of them that have a "4 tape cartridge w/ a total capacity of 300 GB". If I purchased that example auto loader, would I need a cartridge for every backup?

Would it be consider bad practice to do a centralized backup, meaning all the servers at this main location backup to that one tape drive? I just don't find it efficient to have to run to 5 servers w/ tapes, especially with our smaller 20/40 GB tape drives once we upgrade to larger hard drives in our 2 DCs.

I hope I've been clear enough, if not please let me know and I'll elaborate. I'm trying to settle on a purchase asap so I can continue with my server installs.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

It all depends on your budget. If you want to purchase autoloader you may consider something like ADIC Faststor 2. It has got 8 slots; 7 days worth of backup + cleaning or redundant tape (no need to change tapes every day). It uses LTO2 drive, so the capacity of a single tape goes up to 400 GB (x8 = 3.2 TB). It would be enough to back up all of your servers. It's also relatively easy to operate. Also, combined with CA BrightStor Arcserve Backup software you have an option to use multiplexing backups. This means you can easly back up 5 servers at the same time, at the highest speed (tape drive is much faster than network; therefore it can easly take several sources at the same time). Hope this helps.

If you need more info, let me know.....

Regards,

Michael

Wow, I just looked at that, looks like a terrific piece of equipment. Although I think it's a little out of our budget, I was looking at something more closer to $2,000-$2,500 price range. So like I said in my other post, something along the lines of about 350 GB or so total backup capacity.

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Are you looking at the tape loaders only, or you are considering standalone tape drives as well? You may have a look at Certance ULTRIUM 2 drive (external or internal). It provides great value with some excellent performance. I have used some of them for a long time. Easy to use, reliable, not expensive..... Have a look at;

Regards.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back