Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd77

Technical User
May 17, 2007
GB
Hi All,

One of our tape drive (DLT 8000) automatically turned to the service mode. I manually unmounted & mounted the tape from it, it is working fine. There is no error light (ampher/red light) flashing in the tape drive. Can any one please tell me, why the tape drive automatically went to the service mode...?

Thanks in advance,
Pd77.

This could be if the drive can not recover from a write problem which usually is the case if it hits the "Max consecutive errors" (20 by default).

There was a problem for a jukebox drive if you are trying to label more than 20 virgin tapes. This might still be an issue.
To avoid that, simply enable "Auto Media Management" ... for the jukebox, not for the jukebox drive. This will clear the counter earlier.

Hi 605,

Thanks for your reply. In that drive the consecutive error is marked as "0" . It shows the error message as read failure and "Hard Error" message in the tape Alert Warning. Can you please help me in this....

Many thanks,
PD77.

This is not easy. If you have another tape drive as well (at the same bus), then i most likely would point to a bad drive. However, it would be much easier to test this with other utilities (like NetWorker's tapeexercise command).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back