Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Drive Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSMCBackup

Technical User
Apr 24, 2003
GB
Hi,

We have an SDLT320 connected to the cpq32fs2 onboard SCSI controller. The drive failed, so was replaced but it still failed to pick up - there was SCSI issues with the MOBO.

So the MOBO was replaced, the drive is picked up on the BIOS, and by windows when it boots. Arcserve sees it, but after a few minutes, it goes offline and Device Manager loses it on a refresh.

H/W wise, the cables have been replaced. Does this seem to point to SCSI controller drivers? My suggestion was to install a new SCSI controller card (LSI) and hook the drive inot this, but as this involves money my client is reluctant!

Any ideas? Servers Win2K Server.

If the device is being removed from the OS Device Manager it is an indication of a NT SCSI port timeout error, that the communication is being lost to the device.

It is more likely a controller driver would not cause this type of problem.

Check NT Event Viewer for messages from the controller.
Try removing any other devices from this SCSI bus.
Try a new terminator.

Yep, pretty much what I thought. I'll pass it on, as ive changed jobs - and I no longer care about Brightstor or its tape drives.

Natch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back