Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tape drive constantly scans

Status
Not open for further replies.

psnead

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
DK
Hi,

I have a Dell tape drive, and it seems to work correctly. My question is this, is it supposed to scan the tapes periodically even if it's not running a backup? Every 10-15 minutes my drive scans all of the tapes, is it checking the inventory or something?

Im assuming its a library if you saying it scans all the tapes. I would disable the REmovable storage service. Unless there is something the firmware thats scanning the device Backup Exec usually doesnt do anything unless a command is issued

Thanks for your response. You're response led me to a couple of more questions:

1. How should I disable the removable storage, in the Device Manager?
2. Does it sound like the tape drive is broken, or is it common to disable the removable storage device?

Removable Storage Service - in the services. Its NTbackup way of controlling a device.
Yes its common to disable the removable storage service.
On test would be to stop all the backup exec services and see if happens. Then you can eliminate backup exec out of the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back