Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tape device 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midrange

Vendor
Aug 28, 2002
SG
Newbie to redhat.

i have an internal tape drive and i want use it. I managed to see the drive on /proc/scsi/scsi but the problem i cannot locate what device name he is attached. I checked the dmesg but no st0, etc..

do i need to link the device before i can use it? what procedures i need to undertake.

thanks.

Do a cat /proc/devices and see what block/character device number is assigned to device st. On my server it shows

Character devices:
1 mem
2 pty
3 ttyp
4 /dev/vc/0
4 tty
4 ttyS
5 /dev/tty
5 /dev/console
5 /dev/ptmx
7 vcs
9 st
10 misc
13 input
21 sg
29 fb
36 netlink
128 ptm
136 pts
180 usb

that my tape drive is character device 9. Now we need to create a node to the device. Use the command:

mknod /dev/[node_name] c 9 0
i.e
mknod /dev/st0 c 9 0

IIRC, you can create another node, changing the 0 to 128 to make your device to not rewind the tape when it ejects. Good for appending data to tape.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

thanks zeland...i can now use the tape drive..

give you a star..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back