Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape copy function in Arcserve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btrotter

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2001
GB
I currently run Arcserve2000 Advanced Edition, and backup to a Dell PowerVault 110T LTO unit with 2 LTO drives.

I only backup 10 servers, each with about 20gb on them. Normally most everything goes on one tape, although sometime it requires 2 LTO tapes, a lot of times it gets by with one.

Our business policy has changed, and we are now required to have 2 copies of every tape. Both of which go offsite daily.
I do not want to have to come in every morning and do a manual copy of each tape before I send it offsite.

Is there anything inside Arcserve that would allow me to insert 4 tapes, with 2 of them being the set to serve as copies, and the other 2 the originals, and the copy happen as soon as the backup is finished?

I would appreciate any guidance, or pearls of wisdom anyone has.

Thank you,
Brian T.

I made a type on the tape unit. I have a PowerVault 136T, not a 110T.

Brian,

The only way (I know of) to copy tapes is using the tapecopy.exe located in the Arcserve directory.
This is how we set it up (we also have a PV136T with 2 drives):

Create some seperate device groups for the copies (COPY-1, COPY-2), and assign the relevant library slot to each group.

Then setup a batch file to run the tapecopy.exe for each tape copy, with the right switches. You can work out all the command line switches for tapecopy.exe in the usual way, tapecopy /?.

Finally use WinAT or the basic windows scheduler (providing your using Windows, of course) to schedule the exe to run at a set time after the backup is complete.

Our copy takes around 6-7 hours for 3 tapes.

Good Luck,
Edward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back