Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tape capacity in legato networker 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

esdeedee

Technical User
Aug 4, 2005
BE
Hi,

Our tapes are LTO-Ultrium-2 (200GB/400GB). When we start Networker Administrator, and choose Volumes. We can see all our tapes, barcode, written, used, ... . Some of the tapes have written-values of 2267GB, 4553GB, ... (used: 100%) unless the capacity of the tapes is 200GB uncompressed and 400 GB compressed. So my question, the written-value is this what has been written alltime, to the tapes? Or is something wrong? Because other tapes have normal values (between 200GB and 400GB, where used=full).

If you define a device, the device type indirectly applies the value 'Volume Default Capacity'. The '%used' value is simply folling this equation:

amount written
%used = -------------------------
volume default capacity

However, if you have data which can be highly compressed (databases), you will be able to backup (much) more than you would expect by looking at the default capacity. Anyway, NW will only stop and set the tape to full when it reaches the physical end of tape.

However, once the value '%used' reaches 100%, it will not increase any more. This shall avoid customer confusion.

I would suggest running scanner(just read the tape don't rebuild index) on a tape to verify there are no synchronization errors. My tapes were reporting a similar High GD amount and found out the tape unit was rewinding in the middle of backups and networker reported everything worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back