Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape Backup Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2002
CA
Does anyone have any recommendations for tape backup software for a peer-peer network? I have a remote office with three Windows XP Pro workstations, and one of them has a Seagate Travan tape drive (less than a year old). I have tried to use the tape software that came with it (Yosemite Software's TapeWare XD), but it has given me nothing but grief over the last few months. I don't mind buying software, but I am not familiar with desktop backup software (I have used CA ARCserve on both Netware and NT, as well as Backup Exec). I would like the flexibility to define my own rotation set. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have used Novastor, and it sucks! It sure looks nice and I guess it works under the limited conditions its been writen for, but overall it failed. It can not restore to a drive larger or smaller then the one it backed up, and I was unable to get it to work with anything other than a CDRW.

Also there is a bug in XP internal backup program. If you have followed the directions to make a disaster set, when you boot to the CD in order to recover from a total loss (ie disaster...) it asks for the diskette over and over and over. It will never get past this. MS has been working on ignoring my repeated requests to fix this bug for months...so much for my $35...

What version of Novastor were you using? Were you using it for tape backup? My requirements are pretty simple, backup to tape and restore data if there is a problem (until such time as I can get them a real server:>).

The only other option I really came up with (besides the Tapeware we have been having issues with) is Retrospect by Dantz. Anyone have any comments on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back