Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tape backup for NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

yewtree76

Technical User
Jul 12, 2004
US
I need to backup my NAS (Snap Server 4500) with a SCSI tape drive. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm having a hard time finding any resources that offer a matrix of supported devices for NAS servers- maybe any SCSI device will work???
Tara

Snap Servers use a custom version of Red Had Linux.

Just back it up from your regular backup server.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying I can backup my data from the Snap Server with my Windows 2000 server (which also backs up my Windows SBS 2003)? I haven't found any information to support that claim- have you actually done this procedure yourself? Plus, I don't know if I really want the data on the Snap to have to go back across the network.

I can answer this for you.

Are you looking for direct attached SCSI devices?

Do you already have a backup package that you currently use.

If you are talking about direct attached devices, then the Bakbone Netvault software has the compatiblity matrix of devices that it supports, therefore the Snap 4500.

Lawrence I emailed you directly with more questions. I understand that NetVault comes with the 4500. What are the SCSI tape devices that are compatible with the 4500?

** for others who want the same answer. **

If you are already using Backup Exec, you can install the unix / linux agent onto the Snap Server 4500 and backup over the network.

I would stay away from NDMP unless you have extra money to spend on NDMP licenses, and NDMP is slower than direct attached or agent based backups.

Netvault is installed on the Snap Server, and you can get licenses and clients to backup your Windows servers using the tape attached to the Snap Server. Also, you can look at the Virtual Tape function of Netvault. The default license comes with 100Gb of Virtual Tape storage.

The idea is to backup the Windows Servers to the Virtual Tape, for quicker restores, and then move those offline to tape for long term storage. You use the Snap Server as Near Line storage and Tape as Offline storage.

You will need license from Bakbone for the Windows Servers.

So you really have 2 choices here.

1: Backup Exec with unix agent. However, an installed agent can not backup all of the Snap Servers permissions / ACLS.

2: Use Netvault for the Snap Server, which you can also backup the Windows Servers. Netvault has a custom filesystem plugin to backup the Snap Servers permissions / ACLS.

The better choice would be Netvault, with that said it is not your only choice.

The question to what devices are supported, here is a link to the supported devices:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back