Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Taking "C:" drive and creating "C:" and "D:"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
This should be relatively easy although I have never tried it before,

I set up a XP machine with 1 500GB SATA drive and set it up as 1 partition C: drive. After doing so and putting about 60GB worth of data on it that I really dont feel like moving again, I would like to break it up with 2/3 of the space staying the "C:" drive and add another partition for the "D:" drive for random data.

Any ideas/steps to take would be great, I looked into the Disk Management but could find no way to shrink the current partition to use the extra space for a new one.

Thanks

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

I would be really careful when manipulating partitions. If there's anything really important there, I would back it up before attempting anything.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Very true, its a new system build and I was lazy when I set it up and forgot to add the second partition. I had all the data on the old PC we are replacing but that is excellent advice for anyone reading/using this thread to answer there question.

Sidenote, I do like that the EASUS site tells you specifically to backup docs as nothing is 100% safe.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Another important step is to defrag before starting any partition resizing attempt.

Thanks,

Joe B

Always used Partition Magic and never a problem, but........... the risk is your own. Everybody should already have backup anyway, right?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back