Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Taking on a new challenge or getting over your head? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

surferdude949

Programmer
Oct 13, 2008
US
When you are presented with an opportunity (new job) which will be definitely challenging, how can you distinguish if this may be a good thing as it will be challenging or an endeavor that may be too much?

I’m trying to figure this out, being realistic with my abilities/ knowledge/experience and at the same time wanting to push myself in order to grow.

I have about 9 years of experience and really want to reach a high level of technical knowledge and expertise.

My first thought is to "interview" the company to get a feel for their level of technology understanding. I have seen job descriptions that ask for years of experience with a technology or software that has been around for a lesser time. At that point I scratch my head. I also see jobs that want someone who is an expert in everything. The truth is that things change so fast that this is not a real possibility. On the other hand if a company is looking for strong core skills and a fast learner they are most likely going to support your desire to take on a challenge. It is possible to get paid to learn but is also possible to get blamed for the problems of a company. You need to test the waters and ask questions to get a feel for the company's expectations.

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

Your success in any challenge depends on how well you manage your resources and tools available. No challenge is big or complex enough; it's the lack of resources and adequate tools that hinders you ability to succeed.

Stay cool; it’s not over yet!

Do you have a personal history of learning new systems without much help ? Are you able to use forums like this, work with existing staff to learn ? If so, give it a go -every new system you learn builds on your own ability - both in total knowledge and capability of absorbing and integrating the new stuff. If some of the systems have courses that the vendor offers, make it clear that you'll need at least some of those to expedite the learning curve - to your employers' benefit as well as your own. Sounds to me like you've got a wonderful opportunity waiting for you! Be sure to give it your best, and keep us posted on your progress, and use this forum and others for advice.

Fred Wagner

Thank you for the words of encouragment Fred! And yes, it is an new exciting opportunity that will open many doors for me. I will keep this thread updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back