Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Taking A Poll: Your Favorite Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtlepuke

Technical User
Jan 9, 2008
US
Hi,
I'm new to scripting and wondering some of the tasks that I could automate in Avaya that are normally clunky processes to go through manually.I'm open for anything, as it could come in handy later.
What are some of your favorite uses for scripts, and if they're fairly straight forward and you don't mind sharing, include the script.

Thanks!

From the point of view of practicality, probably not much that ASA or System Manager can't do for you already.

Depending on what your role is in supporting the system, maybe some scripting through /var/log/ecs

CM can syslog every H323 reggister/unregister out, but you could have a script parse that up. Depending on how much logic you build into it of your IP ranges and knowing what phones are online, you could have your script send out a more important syslog message to say "we lost 30% of our phones in La"

That lower level stuff is something the standard tools won't have.

Otherwise, there's web APIs for System Manager if you wanted to build your own password reset portal for stuff. I mean, at the end of the day, if you want to script it, it could be as simple as ./pwreset.sh that prompts for your LDAP name/password and then asks you if you want the script to reset your AAM mailbox password or whatever.

Most people see a self service password reset application as something that lives inside a webpage, but if you get it in a terminal, you're more than halfway there.

Thanks Kyle,
One of the things I don't see in ASA or SMGR (unless I'm missing it) is how to add batches of entries into UDP instead of one at a time. Any idea if that's already possible?

Appreciate your time!

Cant purchase any software. That was the hope behind some scripting ideas. But maybe some of this scripting stuff is above my level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back