Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Takes time to login to SBS 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufaza

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
Hello,
I have all the client system running on Windows XP Pro. Total clients 6. After joining them to the new SBS 2003 server, the logging process during startup of these systems really takes long. Also once they are logged and are working on any of the files from the shared network drive from the SBS 2003, it really takes a long while for a simple word doc or excel sheet to save.

What needs to be tweaked to improve the performance?

Regards,
MJ

Check your performance to make sure nothing is using up memory or processor. Next I had a similar issue a while ago and once I desingated my server as the clients DNS Server it cleared all that up.

First, make sure that the PCs are configured for ONLY the 2003 SBS box for DNS. Nothing else.

Also - what do the event logs say?

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thanks for the valuable replies.
I am not clear as to what dns entries do i need to add to the clients xp pro machines?

I have setup the server with only one nic and connected via netgear router to all other stations. Therefore the dns entries are the WAN entries from the internet provider.

Regards,
MJ

On your server go to your DNS and select the server name and right click go to properties. There go to forwarders and set in your ISP DNS servers. In your router change your wan DNS to you server IP (example 192.168.0.100)and this will be sent to the clients.

Then make sure your DHCP scope is giving the address of your SBS box as the DNS server, and NOT an address of your ISP's DNS.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back