Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Takes 10 minutes to pring and to open excel/word doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

hppsf

Technical User
Aug 28, 2001
US
We have a win 2k network and one of the users is unable to do certain specific tasks.

She accesses all her files from our server. She can use her quickbooks budget with no problem. She can ping all the computers in the network. She can open all shared folders.

The problem:
It takes 10 minutes to print to a network printer (that uses the same hub)
and when she access her excel and word documents from her folder on the server it freezes and takes another 5 minutes.
She can not open up the printer computers shared folders but she can ping that computer.

I have logged in as admin and I got the same problems.
No other computer on the network is having a problem.

any ideas?

Check that the machine has the correct DNS server IP addresses set in the local area network connection tcp/ip properties, and entries in the hosts file.

John

We have the same problem and this from what I understand here is what happened...

One of our admins visited the Windows Update site by Microsoft ( to install the latest security patches. When he installed the critical security patches he also opted to install updated network card drivers. Something went wrong with the installation of the network card drivers -- believe the network card was identified incorrectly, by an automated process, so the wrong network card driver was installed causing the network card to communicate very slowly. Reinstalling the correct network card driver should fix the network slow down.

Personally a similar thing happened to me at my home computer -- installed the network card driver update from the microsoft site and could not reach the internet anymore. I reinstalled the original driver for the network card and got working again then visited the manufacturer of the network card and downloaded and installed the correct driver. The driver update portion of the Windows Update site just does not seem to work correctly and should not be used. However, the critical patches must be installed from the Microsoft site -- just not the driver updates.

hth,

831st SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back