Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Take out PASSWORD in win 98 and XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1quickdraw

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
Does anyone know if there is a way to get to the registry of win 98 and xp when you don't have a password to get the OS up? I was wondering if it were possible to get into the registry and make changes to the SAM key? I believe that is where the passwords are stored. It would be interesting to see if one could change or delete the password this way or does the OS have to be running in something other than the welcome screen?

This was just teasing my feeble mind.

in 98, i beleive you can delete the .pwl files... in xp, i am not sure.

Ali Koumaiha
TeknoSoft Inc
Farmington Hills, Michigan

TeknoSDS

Thank for your response.

Steve

bcastner:

Thanks Bill. I already picked that up from another thread you answered for someone else but have not used it yet. I was just wondering if it were possible without third party software to get to SAM key in the registry and change or delete the password before login. I don't think it is but don't know fur sure.

Thanks again. I will try this on my friends old Win 98 machine.

(YTM)

Steve

You can't in XP - all you can do is delete the SAM file (if you have update access to the filestore) - or use a third party tool which will let you reset passwords (like those suggested on the page bcastner supplied - faq96-2866 also has suggestions)

But in 98 there's no real security - as mentioned above, .pwl files (in \windows) are where passwords are held - can just be deleted - but you can always cancel/escape/supply new username anyway).

PS. Why have you machines which you don't have passwords for?

wolluf:
I don't. I have a neighbor who has an old 98 system he can't get into because password is left from whoever had it before. As far as the XP part, I was just curious if it were possible in case I run into the problem. Thanks for your concern.

S

As you've probably found out deleting the .PWL file will allow you to delete the password in Windows 95/98.
You can avoid the need for a password by setting the password to 'blank'. Windows 98 will not then prompt at the next reboot.
For other versions of Windows see M$ article 315231 to enable 'Auto Logon'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back