Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Take a screenshot with the cursor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djjd47130

Programmer
Nov 1, 2010
US
I was wondering if there's a way to take a screenshot with the cursor included? Currently, using "Print Screen" on the keyboard does not include the cursor. I wish to not to have to have some special third party software.

Thank you.

JD Solutions

Nope...

Cursors are HARDCODED and what is displayed on the screen, e.g. Desktop, is layed down on the VRAM, through IRQ's the cursors are then positioned into the display...

to circumvent that, you do have to use a third party software, such as SnagIt or IrfanView, which can incorporate the cursor as it is into said screenshot... or you create the screenshot, and then with the help of a paint program, insert a cursor to the position you wish it to...

sample mouse-pointer:
11606d1092327697howscre.png

link:
Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I use printkey4 which gives you the option of including the cursor (plus many more). Its an old "freebe" which I don't know is still available. If you can't find it drop a note and request that I send you a zip file copy. Good luck.

Thanks, I guess that makes my answer just No. I was hoping there was some special trick or key combo to do this without needing any other software (or a digital camera) such as how you can do Alt + Print Screen to capture just the focused form.

JD Solutions

Use a proper screenshot tool, like ScreenShotCaptor, that does that with ease (it's not enabled by default, but it's just 2 clicks away)

^^ I mean, you can enable and disable the mouse pointer - its on by default

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

I use an app called Bug Shooting. The current version isn't free but if you can find version 1.9.2, that was free and works fine.

Nelviticus

>Cursors are HARDCODED

I'm not sure that's quite what you meant to say

SnagIt is good for what you want.

Example:

pssettings.gif

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

strongm,

probably I should have worded it differently... meaning that it is handled by a different set of code outside of the normal GUI, which then gets over-layed and Windows own screenshot utility just does not bother to integrate it...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back