Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tagged VLAN for IP Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

PotNoodleBoy

Vendor
Jan 12, 2007
GB
We have a site with:

1x 4500 50 (3c17562-91)
4x 4500 26 PWR (3cr17571-91)
1x Baseline 2824 (3c16491) Is this switch compatible??

They are currently installed and working with a more or less default config. We are adding Avaya IP phones which will be on vlan 2 by tagging their packets. I have never implemented VLAN's in the real world before.

Here's my plan so far. I will add vlan 2 to each switch. On the main switch I will assign vlan 2 an IP address - this will automatically allow it to route between vlans. Every port that may ever have a phone attached will be added as a tagged member of vlan 2. They will also remain an untagged member of VLAN 1 as PC's will also be connected to the same ports. Uplink ports will be designated as trunk ports allowing them to carry traffic for both VLAN's between switches.

I will probably post more as and when I think of it!

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Most layer 2 switches should be compatible, but I would find out what Avaya requires for optimum transmission and QOS to set them up properly. QOS being the most important, getting that right will mimimize the "underwater audio" so prevalent in many improperly setup and cheap systems you hear today.

Some of the basic VLAN stuff is covered in the manual.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back