Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tag entry in textarea

Status
Not open for further replies.

toyt78

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
US
I have an input form where I am wondering how I should approach user entries.

For example I would like to make bullets before each sentence.

If I use the li tag inside my pre tags it will work but was wondering if there is a better way or even should I bother asking users to input their data using tags.

My example of the textarea input area which will have <pre> tags in it (<pre>#dataentryfield#</pre>):
"Please enter data and use <li> tag before each sentence."
Then users will (hopefully) use the <li> tag and enter data such as:
<li> Sentence is located here.

and that will put a bullet in front of each sentence.

Please advise if this is efficient or a better way of doing this??? I assume this is too much to ask users to do and probably need a better way of doing this?

In my experience, you are asking WAY TOO MUCH from the user. I know it sounds like a simple request, but they will forget, not read the note, mess it up, and not care.

Either search for line returns or for the end of the sentences and add the tags in code.

When you want something the same ALL the time I tend to let the computer do it, people are too variable.

Kris Brixon
www.brixon.org

try replacing chr(10) with <li>

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

I would use a &middot; with a style applied or a small image. That way you can keep your html valid easier...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back