Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tadiran IPx500/IPx800 PUGW card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

5g6tdcv4

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2012
US
If I install a PUGW card will that allow me to use SIP trunking externally?
Or will I need some type of device to "translate"?

Currently have a DS3 with PAETEC using PRI's and I would like to use SIP instead of the PRIs
Thanks in advance

Yes, the PUGW does both SIP trunks and endpoints. You specify in SIZ how many of each you want. You could make an entire PUGW just used for SIP trunks if you had no use for SIP endpoints. Or vice versa. Even if you're not using endpoints now you'd want to SIZ for it and put some on the card. Of you could just add another PUGW later.

Perfect, thanks for the reply disturbedone.
Also will the PUGW handle "native" Sip?

What do you mean by "native" SIP?

I've Googled and all I've found is people trying to define it.

SIP isn't, unfortunately, a standard. It's a guideline. It's not black and white as to how it must work. Any SIP phone will work but depending on how the "standard" has been implemented by the phone manufacturer some features may not work. This is the same for any SIP device on any SIP platform.

Okay maybe this helps. The line below is from my current ISP (Paetec)

"Confirm Tadiran’s ability to take native SIP – PBX will need to take native SIP or Adtran 5305 will have to be replaced with a device that can hand off TDM PRI (Cisco 39XX series with DS3 card and Voice card)"

I am not sure what exactly this means, as I thought the whole point of doing SIP trunking was to eliminate the PRI altogether??
I am studying the SIP protocol now to have a better understanding of what it needs to function

Thank you again for your help.

That is the problem and why I am asking. They have not responded to my questions. I don't mind paying the Tadiran vendor but they are not responding to the questions.
I understand (now) that SIP is a best practice not a truly defined protocol. What type of network device do I need to split the SIP trunking off of my internet feed?
Do I even need that? Will the PBX handle that on its own?
Forgive my ignorance on the subject but I am an Exchange man not versed in VOIP protocols.

Thanks again for your help.

I'll drop a line to guys I know at Tadiran in Israel and see what they say.

There's no "splitting" required. You plug the Coral into your LAN just like any other device. As far as outbound voice goes it's just like a client requesting to go to a webpage - the Coral says "I want to make a SIP request to this IP address" just like a computer says "I want to make an HTTP request to this IP address".

As far as inbound goes you just treat the Coral like you would an eg web server. Forward the SIP/RTP ports through your firewall to the Coral. Anyone making inbound calls to your company will have the SIP request forwarded to the Coral's PUGW address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back