Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tabs in a word document

Status
Not open for further replies.

hostis

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
GB
I have a word document that has been sent from a customer that you fill in and send back. In the document there are lots of blanks to fill in shown (understandably) as ............'s. When you insert the cursor into the ....'s whatever you type overtypes the ....'s (the same as if the insert key is used) but I can't seem to replicate it. If I try and add in some ....'s and the type it just shifts the ....'s along per letter.

has anyone any ideas on how this can be done?

cheers

hostis

Could be document be using forms and invisible borders?

hi hostis
have a look at the forms toolbar (thru view menu>toolbars), particularly the 'text form field','form field shading' and 'Protect Form' buttons. you also may want to look at the help topic called "Prevent users from changing a form containing form fields"
hth
schat

I am not sure about invisible borders but it is definitely not using the forms toolbar or any of the options contained therein....

This is similar when you for instance create fax using template.
This effect in the document is used with fields. Choose Insert>Field... from main menu. From the displayed dialog (word XP) choose category: Document automation, Field name: MacroButton. Click "Field codes" button and change to:
MACROBUTTON NoMacro ........
(instead ...... you can use any other text). Click OK.
If you still see the grayed field code with MACROBUTTON etc. (in brackets), right-click it and select switch fields codes.
To check field code in your document, right-click ....'s and switch field code.

Hi Combo

thansk for the advce but unfortunately I have tried this and it does not show the same results.

On the original document, the dotted ......'s do not belong to a form field in any way. I have tried to track how it is done but to no avail.

The closest I have come is tabs (right aligned) with leaders in a table with the gridlines turned off. I do not have enough info to tell what else it might be.

Hostis
Sorry to state the obvious but I'm also interested in what you're after........... could you not get back to the customer? I know it's hard eating humber pie but "Learning makes the wise wiser and the fool more foolish." In most cases people are flattered and usually the worst is that they tell you to &!^£%£^ off or ask how much you'd pay!

Simon Rouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back