Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tabs, css

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnDT

Technical User
May 1, 2006
US
Good Morning Gents and Ladies.

I have a little problem which I believe is simple to fix. Yet, it eludes me so.... My problem is when I click on my tabs the color changes to active before the layer is actually displayed. The color should not change unless I release the mouse. Also, I cannot get the tabs to be active on load of the document. Example, I would like for tab A to be active when the page loads.
I hope that makes sense. I have included my style and UL's Thank you for your kind attention.

CSS
<style type="text/css">
ul.primary {
border-collapse: collapse;
padding: 0 0 0 1em;
white-space: nowrap;
list-style: none;
margin: 5px;
height: auto;
line-height: normal;
border-bottom: 1px solid #bbb;
}

ul.primary li { display: inline; }

ul.primary li a {
background-color: #ddd;
border-color: #bbb;
border-width: 1px;
border-style: solid solid none solid;
height: auto;
margin-right: 0.5em;
padding: 0 1em;
text-decoration: none;
}

ul.primary li a:hover {
background-color: #eee;
border-color: #ccc;
border-bottom-color: #eee;
}

ul.primary li a:active {
background-color: #FFFF33;
border: 1px solid #bbb;
border-bottom: #fff 1px solid;
}

</style>

UL
<ul class = "primary">
<li class ="a:active"><a href = "#" onclick="MM_showHideLayers('layProducerData','','show','layProducerContacts','','hide','layProposals','','hide','layNotes','','hide')" class = "primary">Producer Data</a></li>
<li><a href = "#" onclick="MM_showHideLayers('layProducerData','','hide','layProducerContacts','','show','layProposals','','hide','layNotes','','hide')">Producer Contacts</a></li>
<li><a href = "#" onclick="MM_showHideLayers('layProducerData','','hide','layProducerContacts','','hide','layProposals','','show','layNotes','','hide')">Proposals</a></li>
<li><a href = "#" onclick="MM_showHideLayers('layProducerData','','hide','layProducerContacts','','hide','layProposals','','hide','layNotes','','show')">Notes</a></li>
</ul>

You cannot make an item 'active' with html. That being said, one way to what you want is to correctly style the 'active' tab. e.g.
Code:
<li class ="activetab"><
instead of
Code:
<li class ="a:active"><
then add that class to the stylesheet
Code:
ul.primary li a:active[b], .activetab[/b] {
    background-color: #FFFF33;
    border: 1px solid #bbb;
    border-bottom: #fff 1px solid;
}
or (not tested)
Code:
ul.primary li a.activetab
or you could use ids, etc.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back