Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tablespace Maximum Size - set Unlimited

Status
Not open for further replies.

tklinz2001

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2009
US
When I created this particular database the vendor specifications were to set the datafile to auto increment by 100 MB and to set maximum file size to unlimited. I was doing some general maintenance the other day and noticed an 85% warning on the tablespace size. When I viewed it, it was no longer set to unlimited but the size 32767 MB. When I double checked with the application's owner if they made changes they said, they had not and I could change it back.
My questions are:
Can oracle automatically change this setting to a specific number like this? The reason I ask is it is such an arbitrary number.

My main issue now is when I set it back to unlimited and click apply, it says the changes were saved. However, when I look at the datafile settings again, it is set to 32767 MB again. Does the database have to be down or something for this change to take? I received no message that the database needed to be bounced for the setting to take affect.

Thanks

Hi,
I have seen that behavior and I always assumed the Oracle was showing what that Maximum size would be ( since unlimited is not really unlimited but is limited by available space)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I found some information about it:
32000 x 1024 gives 32K blocks, obviously, Oracle imposes a 32 Gb upper limit for each datafile

What happens when the tablespace limit is reached? Will Oracle automatically reuse space or will the database blow up? Do I need to allocate more space or create an additional data file for that tablespace?

Thanks

The restriction in on the datafile. Simply add another datafile to the tablespace.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

I feel obliged to point out that a 32Gb tablespace seems to stem from the design school whose motto was "put all your eggs in one basket".

I shudder to think what your backup and restore times are on such whoppers.

Regards

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back