Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tables versus frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiej

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am competant in making websites using frames. It's easy to update the contents of one frame after clicking on a link in another frame simply by changing it's location or href or whatever. However, I wish to start using tables. So if I have a table where one column is a list of links, how do I update the larger "main" table cell with the associated html document?

Cheers!

I have seen pages with a "window" that changes in a cell when a link is selected...however, it's a javascript image swap.

I would say that using tables is for your page structure... you don't have to have the image change in just one cell... your nav bar, logo etc that appear on each page are simply duplicated on the new page that the link goes to.

If you use templates, then you can set up the main page with your nav bar etc.. and just create new pages with different content.

luds

Cheers!, That sounds about right!

luds is correct. I switched from frames awhile back - started using tables.

I might also suggest that you use file includes - either SSI (SHTM) or ASP if your hosting company supports it. Most will support SSI though. And then you just create a nav.html file to be included in all the pages. And if you add a page / delete a page - all you need to do is change the nav.html page. All the other pages will need to be saved with the extension of SHTML or SHTM. For more information on this:
If you need to ask anything else about this - feel free to.

Cheers guys, that's a great help. Thank you.

You could always use iframes, but then again that's still frames.

Frames have their place......arround the windows and doors on my house! LOL

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back