Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tables Read Only After Compile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serincino

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
US
I'm compiling my program into a Win32 EXE App. Everything compiles fine, but when I run the new EXE VFP starts telling me that my tables are read only and I can't update my databases. Has anyone else run into this and know how to fix it? I looked in the FAQs and searched the forum, but found nothing.

Thanks,

Serincino

Serincino

Your tables shoulb not be included in your project. Right-click on them in the project manager and select excluded.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

I removed the tables/database from the project. I then rebuilt it and then re-compiled... Still I get the same problem that the tables are read only... This is not a good thing for me since I have to have the prototype read for Monday!! Please tell me some one has the answer!! PS. Mike thanks for the help. Also some of my forms (the program is form drive with command buttons, then textboxes mostly to enter data) are developed using the form wizard, will this cause this problem?? I appreciate any replys, thanks.

-Serincino

Sorry I'm using my partner's computer for the above and current reply.

-Serincino

Serincino,

The first thing I would check is to see if the tables really are read-only. Try navigating to one of them in Windows Explorer and checking the property sheet.

Next, I'd check that the tables you are accessing really are the same as the ones you think you are. It's easy to get things wrong when you are running an EXE; there are several ways in which the EXE could look for its tables somewhere where you don't think it is looking for them. Check that there aren't any extra copies of the table on the machine.

Finally, double-check that you are not accidently including the tables in the build. I know you said that you removed them from the project, but are you certain that all the tables, plus the DBC (if any) have been removed or marked as excluded?

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hey all! First off I want to thank all of you that replied to my post there has been great advice and I look forward to helping some else in the future. We found the problem last night after Mike had told us to remove the DBC. After I had removed the DBC and told the VFP to rebuild the project it still included the files for some reason. I had to move the DBCs to a different directory not in the search path, then say rebuild, then (even though the DBCs were not listed in the project list) it started wanting to locate them and I clicked remove again. After that I moved the files back and compiled the project and it works fine now!! All I have to do is create the install program so I can load it on the laptop that will be showing it off next week!!
Again thanks to everyone!!!!

-Serincino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back