Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tables and forms to be read only 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristodul

Technical User
Mar 22, 2007
US
Hello everybody
I have a db on the network and I created 2 forms for the users: one for data entry and one for search ability of data from the previous form.
Users will have access to the db thru the regular login in Windows.
How do I put restrictions that user to be able only to enter data and search on the form?
I don’t want that users to be able to see the table or design in form.
I know that you can create users and restrictions in Tools ->Security, but I want to avoid this path, because I have to create to many users.
Also I knwo that you can split the db but how do I remove the link of the table from the form file?
Can this be done somehow? Or anybody has a different idea?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cristian

Hi,

If your users are not MS Access savvy, then Tools->Startup will start the application with a form of your choice and hide the database window from the users.

The designer then gets in to 'design' mode by pressing SHIFT and starting the application (keeping SHIFT pressed until it's loaded).

Splitting the front-end from the data does not help security.

The ONLY real way of ensuring security is via Tools->Security.

Regards,

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

Thank you for the prompt response!
This is a tricky way to hide db. But this can get of hands very easy. Is enough one person to know the back door...
Also, I have 2 forms in the db. I don't know if you can put both in the Startup... I'not a MS Access savvy... :(
Can you have some setings at the Tools->Security level but not have to create a long list with users???

Cristian

Hi Cristodul,

Open your application.

Go to Files->Startup.

In this screen, you can specify a form that will run automatically when a user attempts to open your database. Here you can also specify that you don't want the user to see your 'database window' (forms, reports, queries etc).

Close the application.

When you open the application - you only see the form (already running) that you specified (this is what you want for all users).

When YOU want to EDIT the application, press and hold SHIFT and double-click your Access application - it will open in design mode for you to edit.

This is not true security, but if your users don't know Access, then they'll never get in to change forms, reports, queries etc.

It is quite a simple solution really.

Please reply if not clear.

Regards,

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

Split the database

In Tools-Startup define the most restrictive settings.

Disable the Shift key through code or go to and look for Startup Manager.

Convert the front end to mde.

Run it from a batch file with the /runtime switch (something like:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" "C:\YourPath\YourFile.mde" /runtime

That is probably your best shot without using security tools.

HTH

[pipe]
Daniel Vlas
Systems Consultant

How are ya Cristodul . . .

As for the backdoor [blue]Shift[/blue] key . . . have a look here Securing AllowBypassKey

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Thank you all! I like challenges and new trails!
Darrylles, I did a test on your directions, but I have two forms. One data entry and one search part numbers from that data entry. Both forms look to the same table. I will have to find a way to start both forms in the same time, or to have a menu at the beginning: Option 1: - Data entry, Option 2: Search part numbers

danvlas I try to go on but the page was not found. Maybe IT people blocked the site….
Also I looked in to splitting the db but, after splitting I have two db. One with only table and one with the rest (forms, reports, macros… ).
It will be great to use this second db, but there is a link to the table and you can go and start modify data.

TheAceMan1 I looked on the info you gave me. Is great but it says that creates a property that only Admins can change. This raised an other question in my mind:

Is it possible to create only 2 groups? (Admin and Data Entry) and then all the people to use the Data Entry group? I know that you can set restriction at the db level, without codes as far as modify table, modify forms. If is possible then I don’t have to create individual users for each person.

Thank you all again!

Cristian

I think I have it!
I split the db and convert the front end table in to mde.
On the converted db I hide the table. You can’t design the form, you can’t see table.

Objective achieved!!!

Thank you again for your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back