Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

table widths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memo

Programmer
Jul 11, 2001
US
I have a sidebar and a topbar with an image conecting them, so the edge looks curved rather than a right angled edge. The problem is setting up the tables so that the image is in the correct position in Netscape and IE and also in the different sreen sizes, 640X, 1024X etc.
I have tried using % for the table sizes which didnt work and I dont want to use pixels because then wouldnt I have to set the total size at 640 for the smallest screen? I dont want that, I want the table to fill the screen at all resolutions.
Thanks for any help.

im guessing your table is set up like this...

1 2

3 4

those numbers representing individual tables cells, with your connecting image in cell 1. the cool trick you can use is to only set the table width to 100& and duplicate the image you are using in cell 2. use one as the actually table data and the other as a cell background...that way when a user a huge screen res, it'll still stretch out.

does this help?

laters...

Best choose: Uniform or fading background (GIF 5 x 1000 pixels dithered ),
fills by repetition the screen. Table width 750 pixels. Images in the table cells
centered or aligned to either edge.
Please refer to URL, HTML source code is available.----G.Hoffmann

Using hoolz' cell numbering scheme. Set cell 1 to absolute width and height (exact pixels). Set cell 2 to absolute height and 100% width. Set cell 3 to 100% height and absolute width. Set cell 4 to 100% height, 100% width. Cell 2 and 3 should have repeating textures in their respective directions.
Sincerely,

Tom Anderson
CEO, Order amid Chaos, Inc.

Don't forget to look at it in Netscape 4. This is when the fun starts! You can find that Netscape will add extra pixels into your "absolute" columns if they are in a variable width table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back