Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Usage Analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkbear

Technical User
Mar 22, 2002
US
Hi,
Since I can now find out what tables any of my published reports use ( as well as any subreports, etc)..I wonder if it is possible to , using a table name, determine all the reports that use that table?

I suspect it would be difficult, since everything in the CMS seems 'tied' to a report ID..
I did manage to develop code to provide that info, but it involved looping through all report IDs known to the system and checking each table used by that report for a match...Not practical with several hundred ( or thousand) reports..

Any other way, anyone..?

Thanks..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

If you don't mind using a third party tool -- one of the 18 tools in .rpt Inspector Enterprise Suite can provide you with that information.

It does require that you open the reports in the product (but you can open hundreds or thousands of reports at a time -- your memory and system specs determine the number). Once you've got them open and select all reports (set the focus to a row on the Reports tab and right click a row and select "Select All") and then go to the database tab.

And the way to do this is change the filter to "Fields". Then in the objects grid click on one of the fields to have it update the Properties pane. In the property pane drag a property called "ReportTitle" (from the property column -- not the value column) to the Objects grid. This will create a new column in the grid. Also drag a property called "TableAliasName". So now in the grid you should have 2 columns.

Now right click on "ReportTitle" column and select "Group ByReportTitle". Now right click on "TableAliasName" column and select "Group ByTableAliasName".

The result is a Pivot like table that shows you which reports are using which table.

You can change the group order and other things as well as ungroup by right clicking on one of the grouped (expandable) rows and use the options from the popup menu.

The whole process is very quick.

To get a FREE trial visist:

Hi,
Thanks for the info..I may give it a try ( This works with the published versions of the reports not the source rpt files, I assume?)

[profile]

.rpt Inspector Enterprise Suite -- works with both published (reports in CE / BO) and also those on the file system (source rpt files). And for those reports you open directly from CE / BO other properties are exposed like schedules, destinations, formats, instances, etc. for the report object so you can manage them as well. So there's a tool for Monitor a tool for Manage of Instances and Schedules. And there is also a tool for automatic and seamless version control integration with Microsoft SourceSafe -- without ever having to leave the tool. So there's 18 tools total.

.rpt Inspector Professional -- works with only reports on the file system (source rpt files). And it can not Monitor or Manage anything in CE / BO as a result. There are 15 tools total.

Hi,
Thanks..I am trying it out ( The XI Enterprise version)..

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back