Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TABLE SPACE vs. FILE SYSTEM SPACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jriordan

MIS
Sep 9, 2002
US
Hello All,
Looking to see if any of you have developed or have tools that you are using to report on table space usage within a file system. I administer several RS/6000's with Oracle databases. I have weekly reports that give me my JFS file systems stats, (total space allocated, free space) etc.. However when the tables were created on the filesytems, most of the allocated file system space was taken up by the table. Returning a 95% used when I look at the filesystem. Knowing that the actual data in the table could be far less than that.
I created an sql script to report on the table space size and physical data within the table space. That output is passed to an awk script that goes out and does a "df" on the file systems that the tables reside in. It is ok if I am only looking at one instance but most of the servers have several instances with different passwords. I wonder if there is an easer way.
Are any of you comparing table space size vs filesystem size, and if so do you have any suggestions on how I might do it another way.

Thanks in advance and sorry so long winded.
John

You might try Oracle Enterprise Manager. It is designed to allow you to monitor multiple databases and it already has a canned report for storage information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back