Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Size Limitations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsmallwood

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
US
I have Paradox 9 now running on XP machines. Is there a practical limit to the size of tables? The largest table I have is over 21,000 records and 42,400 KB.

I don't remember what the exact limits are (there are always limits) but you have nothing to worry about because they are far greater than you have now.

Hi Bob.

I often download and works with tables that have over 306,000 records with over 241 fields, and this is not an indexed table!

Queries and such run slower. I could index this table but I just haven't found a need to do that yet.

I think the table limit has much to do with your computer limits.

Hope thi helps . . . Rick

isn't there a 2gb file size limit ? my boss mentioned something along the lines and we have come up with a "stripe" ing solution for the databases.

this "stripe" ing is commonaly implemented on mainframes that I have worked with- MVS,VAX,VSE. but our version is basically making a table for our tables.

anyway, 2gb is my working belief of paradox's limit.

later,
troy

There is a max limit of 2Gb on the table size.

However this limit is different per table depending on the block size set in the BDE when the table was built.

Paradox tables hold a max of 65536 blocks, which can be block sizes of 1,2,4,16,32kb therefore the max sizes per table can be (in approx sizes):

1kb blocks - 64Mb
2Kb blocks - 128Mb
4Kb blocks - 256mb
16Kb blocks - 1Gb
32Kb blocks - 2Gb

Also bear in mind that the index files also have the same limitation so if you have large indexes (i.e. Largish alpha fields) this also can cause index corruption as the table grows in size.

From the figures in the first post my very, very rough guess is that you are using tables of 2Kb block size.

You can get more detail about the block size of a table by using the Table Utility tool in Paradox, you don't have to repair the table just use the utility to open a table and you will get details on the block size being used.

Hopefully this helps,

Rgds
Jonathan

Regds
Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back