Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table setup questions when using HierarchyID

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFarley

Programmer
May 22, 2008
US
We're creating a database to manage all activities associated with a contract (i.e. tasks, subtasks, and activities) and their associated costs.

The new HierarchyID data type looks like it will be a GREAT way to show relationships between tasks & associated subtasks etc, and allow flexibility for future growth, such as if the level of detail increases to track sub-activities at some point.

All the HierarchyID examples I have seen so far include just the single table and only the bare minimum fields.

Are there some examples online that show the use of HierarchyID in a larger solution, not just in a single table?

I need to learn the best way to relate the contract activities data to their associated costs (which, of course, are in another table).

Searched & didn't find anything, but might not have asked Google the right question :)

Thanks in advance.

Bryant Farley

"The Dude Abides

You may want to post this question in the Microsoft SQL Server: Programming Forum.

This forum mostly deals with non-programming SQL Server topics.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back