Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingleberry

Programmer
Dec 13, 2002
US
I inherited a database project that was authored by a co-worker when he left. I know the few key tables it depends on but it is polluted with a bunch of other tables/queries that may or may not be depended upon by the existing vital tables/queries needed to generate the report this project generates.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to have a report run on the project to provide information on all tables, when they were last accessed, what depends on them, etc. as a way to help me determine if I can delete some stuff from this project. The project itself is fairly 800MB so i'm trying to trim it down in size.

Hey PHV, good point on the link you provided! I wish I had seen that 6+ years ago to save me some work! I contacted the author (John Barnett) and tested in Access-2010 for him. He said he doesn't do much Access development nowdays, but left that article up in hopes of helping interested parties.

Dingleberry, I think I know what you really want is something that will inventory every object (maybe including field names) and then you can see things like:
1. Table1.Field1 is not referenced anywhere (form ctrl, code, sql, etc.) (or it is used in FormB, Listbox2; or used in Query1)
2. No references to Tablex anywhere.
3. QueryXYZ is not used (or it is used in FormA as the recordsource)

Years ago I also inherited a 'beast' and was tasked with improving performance (every millisecond counted) so I decided to create code to build a bunch of tables to serve as a 'data dictionary'. Then searched for references of the objects. If you want to remove all the data and send me the empty database, I can try and get the dust off my old project. I think everything was working with the exception of dealing with queries that were nested more than ___ levels deep (yep, my favorite was the one query that was nested 8 layers deep -- but didn't need to be).
Good Luck,
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back